Old 07-31-14, 01:35 PM
Nebby10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I am not convinced your theory is accurate and in fact I believe quite possible the opposite is true. Just my opinion based upon looking at each design. There is a reason why a 27.2mm diameter seat post is chosen by many bike manufacturers. Compliancy. In fact Cannondale just deviated with a 25.4mm seat post diameter on their Synapse endurance bike..obvious reason being compliance versus strength. Virtually all mast type posts including aero posts have a higher flex modulus compared to conventional seat posts. The pivot on all Domane models is a game changer of course. There should be no leverage difference...the moment arm is from top of saddle to the iso pivot point. Again, I believe the conventional 27.2mm post is more flexible...spring rate of the system being additive....post/mast flex + iso pivot. If anything, the seat mast design is 'stiffer' by intent to appeal to better and stronger riders.

Trek Domane: IsoSpeed Technology - YouTube
The question is whether a seatpost is more compliant than a seat tube with a pivot that's essentially designed as a spring. While I agree that typically, standard seat mast designs are stiffer, the Domane seat tube is obviously designed to be more flexible than the standard designs.

While it's a bit exaggerated in this video, you can rather clearly see the amount of deflection by the seat tube in this your tube video; I'd be interested in seeing if a standard seatpost can match that.

2013 Trek Domane road bike review - YouTube

Originally Posted by Munk69
I meant to respond to your earlier post.. Hit the wrong button..

He was also running tubeless on the Emonda. That plays a huge role in the ride quality.
I completely missed that...tubeless could definitely make a huge difference in ride quality.