Old 08-03-14, 09:07 AM
bwilli88 

Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have quite a few in Lancaster, PA

Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh Supercourse dingle speed, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix SS, 78 Raleigh Supercourse, 83 Centurion Pro-Tour, 82 Raleigh RRA.

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Use the current 7-speed freehub body and replace all but the one chosen cog with spacers arranged to give a good chainline. As noted, unless you have horizontal dropouts, getting the proper chain tension will be a matter of luck, a fortuitous gear choice or using a half link.
Not a freehub but has horizontal dropouts. In its former iteration it was a Hybrid, I am changing it to a SS MTB. I will take the wheel to my local wheel builder and have him center the hub in the rim and replace the spokes and true the wheel, total cost is $5. I already have the SS freewheel, cost me $3. I have removed the RD and the FD cables because 2 of the cable housing stops were trashed and the crankset was toast. bike was a mess when my friend gave it to me. I have had to rebend the fork, replace the brake handles 9one was broken), new Canti brake shoes, new handlebars (bent), Grips, Bottom bracket, crankset (ridden while loose and trashed), Removed rusted FD, Replacing rusted chain and did not have a RD, mismatched wheels. It will be fun to rebuild it once I get the rattle can paint job done and have the wheels respoked.