Old 08-05-14, 12:29 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The hardware that came on these shoes varied over time.

As @The Golden Boy says, the cooling fins were a joke. The heat goes in towards the rim, not out through the pads.

No, you can't replace the pads. On the other hand, mine have been on my bike since 1983, and they're still working spectacularly well. Normally, single pivot sidepulls require a heck of a lot of squeezing to stop well. Not here.
Thanks Tom

The cooling fins at least look really cool. I guess you could say they offer structural tension to oppose the counter torque load that's brought laterally across the shoe's plane- resulting in a torsional advantage that allows for proper equalization.

Thats a drag about the pads, but from what I've read and accounts like yours- the pads are long lived and fantastically stoppy.

What I ended up doing is going shoe> domed washer facing out> undomed washer> caliper arm> undomed washer> domed washer facing in> small washer> nut.

One of the nuts was cracked and broke, so I replaced the front two with the nuts from the Superbe pads. Pictures shall be forthcoming.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.