Old 08-06-14, 02:04 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The rich pageant of disruptive innovation in cycling continues!

Is it me or does it seems like there is a new bike that will define the future of cycling announced almost every day now?

This morning it was the winner of the "The Bike Design Awards" And the winner is?DENNY! // The Bike Design Project Whoa! such disruptive, so innovate! My feelings are more in line with this. Bike Snob NYC: Just when you think nobody can improve the bicycle, someone proves you right.

Then this came across my bow disguised as an "exciting entrepreneurial idea" BROOKLYNESS - HOME This version of the future of biking was even rejected by Kickstarter , and lord knows they don't reject much, Yet it still continues to get free publicity (which I'll admit I am contributing to by posting this.)

How is it that these "bicycle loving" design geniuses can get the logos, the website, the T shirts, the copy, the video and PR machine so cranked up, yet continue to produce cycling inventions of the future which make little sense in the real world of cycling or business? My guess is most of these companies are started by Ad / Digital people who want to one day actually produce something of value. So they turn to their hobby's to try to create disruption that will change the world for everyone whether it's needed or not. They get tons of cred in their little commutes for being innovative with their high "click through rates" when all they've really done is waste everyones time. Is this the new paradigm? Or am I just a cranky old F@$%!

Mods: Sorry this is technically not about commuting, these bikes are aimed squarely at urban / commuter market. Move if you feel necessary.