View Single Post
Old 10-19-05, 07:34 AM
njgator77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call me surprised! I read with amazement that I was in a road race with Skydive69 while I was training with Frank Shorter, preparing for the 1984 Olympics. At the time this 40 year old, ran me down like the dog I must have been to finish 2nd... "I started to pass him, and I thought that would inspire him to go into another gear. I used to watch him run intervals and he had awesome speed. He did not respond, and the 40 year old fart beat a national class open runner!!"... Trying to motivate me by passing me, I guess he was suprised when I did not respond to his breakaway. Well, I am not sure what road race this was. Was it in NJ? I am curious what race it was and where. I don't believe I ever ran any road races in the Northeast from 1977-1987. I was home in NJ usually for just a few days during the Christmas Holidays. As for racing, none that I remember, were run in NJ, as I lived out of state. I did run a couple of races in the spring and fall of 1987. I was running some road races down south, during the 1981-1987 period. Can't say I can remember all of them.. In 1984, I think, if I am not mistaken, I ran but a few races if any and all were local. None were run in Colorado, where Frank, lived at the time. I have to admit, I did train with Frank, at his home in Boulder in the summer of 1975, prior to his Brief European tour. I also visited him there on buisness in 1986 for three days to discuss a proposed road race series. Other than that time, I only really trained with Frank for a few months in Gainesville, in the spring of 1974. I am happy that by by passing me in the last 800 meters and finishing ahead of me, was one of the highlights of Skydive69's life.