View Single Post
Old 08-07-14, 06:18 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 350 Posts
Ouch! My old Dawes takes a hit

My Dawes Double Blue rode down to Massachusetts and back last weekend. While on the bike rack took a very low-speed impact from a car that was following too closely in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The only apparent damage is the bent crankarm you see here, but that's bad enough. It seems unlikely that I'll find a matching Nicklin or Williams crank at a reasonable price. I see two possible options:

1. Remove the bent crank with my trusty Bikesmith Designs cotter press and take it to Frank the Welder down in Bellows Falls and see if he can straighten it out. I'm guessing that might damage the chrome (the straightening, not the removal). Does anyone know what it might cost to have both sides of a crankset (but not the chainrings) rechromed my a motorcycle shop or whatever?

2. Go to the dark side and replace the original crank with a triplized Nuovo record. I really like the current wide-range double setup, but wouldn't necessarily mind trying it out as a triple, at least for a while. In that case I'd probably replace the Suntour derailleurs with a Nuovo Record set, the rear modified with a long cage.

Or is there another solution I should be thinking of but ain't?

EDIT: The closer of the two photos makes the spindle appear bent as well, but I don't think it actually is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
redced crankarm 2.jpg (105.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg
reduced crankarm.jpg (103.9 KB, 130 views)

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 08-07-14 at 06:25 PM. Reason: misplaced zeal