Old 08-07-14, 07:54 PM
e_guevara

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 Team, Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the myriad of BB shells on bikes and crank options it can get very confusing. Let me clarify some things for you.

Originally Posted by banjaboy
Heres the frame dimensions....The shell of the bottom bracket is about 68mm.
I presently have a standard 53/39 Force light carbon crankset.
...it has a Token cartridge type set of screw in bearings that bring the total width to about 90MM. What the hell kind of BB do I have[?]
Your bike has 68 mm wide English threaded BB shell (BSA).

The cranks are 24 mm hollow spindle cranks that use threaded outboard bearing cups (SRAM GXP).

I went online and ordered an FSA SL-K Light compact crankset. Well here is the rub....I ordered a BB30 PF30 version.
BB30/PF30 cranks have a 30 mm spindle, with the bearings pressed into the BB shell, and therefore are narrower (i.e. has a shorter spindle) than what you have right now.

... what kind of crankset do I need? I think what I need is a BB386? is that correct and what is Evo as it relates to cranks and BB's?
FSA developed the BB386 standard that combines the 30 mm BB30 spindle with the outboard bearings of BSA cranks. BB386 uses pressed-in cups in a 46 mm ID BB shell (PF30). The "EVO" version uses threaded cups for English threaded BB shells.

Yes, you will need the BB386EVO version of the crankset. You also need a MegaEvo BB for the cranks.

I dont suppose there is any kind of adaptor that will allow me to use the BB30 on this frame?
No, not for BB30 road cranks. BB386EVO cranks have longer spindles than BB30 to extend beyond the externally threaded bearing cups.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by e_guevara; 08-07-14 at 08:09 PM.