View Single Post
Old 10-19-05, 08:23 AM
TxBiker
E. Peterbus Unum

Bikes: 2008 Scattante XRL Cross, 2007 Fuji Team, 2002 Fuji Ace, 80's Novara Randonee, 80's Nishiki Prestige SingleSpeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not happy with this response....I gave a quick email to them this morning. Here is what I sent:

Thank you for your response. As a bicycle advocacy member, bike lanes are a heated discussion even within the cycling community and I thank you for sharing the county's position on this matter. I appreciate your careful explanation of the costs involved and as a prior sheriff's deputy, am well aware of county resources and the plethora of projects that fall within the county/precinct budget.

As a commuter, I travel the same roads any car would travel. I am not a "hike and bike" enthusiast as those trails do not get me to work, the store, and other shopping needs. With that being said, I look forward to the county considering options for cyclists as they move forward with pending projects.

As a project manager, I am also well aware of the resources demanded upon executing roads and bridges projects. I also recognize that numerous municipalities and county governments within Texas and the US have taken an active role in cycling endeavors - to include bike baths in these projects. Thus, if bike lanes are a desired feature, the cost is counted, but not the determining factor.

As a citizen, I am thankful that we are able to have this dialogue, discuss this issue at hand, and know my concern was voiced. Though I feel it fell on deaf ears, I will continue to be the type of citizen that seeks to help, rather than fight and accuse.

We are at a point where our cultural vehicular habits (as frivolous as they may be) are under tight scrutiny due to the ever-increasing rise in oil and fuel costs. I have seen a dramatic increase in bicycle traffic. It is my desire that Houstonians and Harris County residents take up other modes of transportation to relieve the highways and byways of undue traffic. If this will occur, our county dollars can be spent on other projects since road wear and tear will not be so dramatic. I also hope the county will recognize this change in traffic and seek to protect its citizens from harm or death.

Again, thank you Ms. Rocchi for your response. On a side note, I am eagerly awaiting the completion of a 4 month stagnate traffic light at Old Louetta and Spring Cypress. My family loves to cycle together, yet we fear for our safety at the thought of crossing Spring Cypress without the use of a functional traffic light.

Chris Rollwitz