Old 08-15-14, 04:46 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
Oh - there's one other problem with CF bikes: strength in CF is directional so stresses have to be planned for. A CF crit bike will probably resist a head-on impact better than an alu one, but it will more easily damage by a minor impact from above to the top tube or chainstays. This problem gets worse in more expensive bikes because they put very high modulus but brittle CF there (there are four or 5 different categories of CF in regular use, and high end bikes use 3 or 4 in their frames.)
More ad hominems and more patronizing comments.

And let me quote my comment immediately above:
Laminates used structurally for bike frames typically use multidirection lay ups, a variety of fabrics,...
It is always amusing when someone attempts to "educate" me by repeating the gist of comments I made earlier in the same thread.

but again, more complex than "spare wheel" (whose profile name pre-ad homs him, although he doesn't use the word correctly) and the like think
WTF? Does the fact that I happen to ride crabon bikes for every day utility offend you or something.

Here is my first repair ('08 Calfee):

The small ding is recent and at some point I will sand it down and re-apply clearcoat. I sure hope my frame does not "delaminate" "meanwhile".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140618_170043_1.jpg (78.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by spare_wheel; 08-15-14 at 04:50 PM.