View Single Post
Old 08-18-14, 11:19 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I guess it depends on your priorities. To me the reason for going to these alternate bag systems is to save weight. My 20 liter Sea 2 Summit bag weighs 3 ounces while a Carradice bag that size is about 2 pounds.
The Carradice material is certainly heavier than it needs to be; I'd like to see it made in lightweight modern materials. In fact Carradice did once make a lighter nylon saddlebag that weighted about a pound, but you can't get them now. There is the Super C saddlebag, but that's just a bit lighter and made from pretty heavy Cordura.

I used some Karrimor panniers back in my 20s, but when I got back into touring I didn't bother with them because I realized that I could carry most of my stuff in a saddlebag. Then I had a goal to get rid of racks so that I could tour on any bike and I save myself 5 lbs by using a Cervelo RS over my steel sport tourer. I found that with a Brooks saddle and a bit of space on the handlebar I could carry a saddlebag and an Ortlieb on any bike as there's no need for any eyelets. Also the mounting is simple and secure and it's nice to have just two pieces of well made luggage when off the bike. I also have to say that I like the contrast of a CF bike with a cotton duck saddlebag.