Bike Forums - View Single Post - Trek 7.3 FX (2014) Hybrid > 1 x 9 drivetrain
Old 08-27-14, 09:56 AM
themishmosh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just did this a few days ago.

Got a relatively inexpensive Origin8 squaretapered crankset, 175mm crank arms, 110 BCD. Mated that to a 42T Raceface narrow-wide chainring with Origin8 single chainring bolts.

If your bottom bracket is square taper, more than likely the M371 uses a wider than normal BB. Standard road I think is 113mm but you should get whatever your crank recommends. Although it is more expense, the more narrow pedal distance is more comfortable and natural to me--and the chainline with the single is better. I got a Shimano UN55 which is I think 105 level. Not too expensive in any case.

You can reuse your rear mech and cassette but will have to look up what the max cog size is for your derailleur if you are looking to go big. Ideally, you should use a short cage RD as you no longer need to take up much chain slack.

Unfortunately, you will probably need tools: crank arm puller, BB socket adapter, chainring bolt tool, and if removing cassette, cassette lockring adapter and chain whip.

I love my new setup. Shifts are fast and crisp. The Raceface narrow-wide chainring is great--very quiet and feels better than the old Suntour I was running before. In hybrid useage, I don't expect that chain to drop and it certainly hasn't so far. I just ordered a Deore XT M770 right shifter because the R440 9 speed doesn't feel as good as what I'm used to on my R770 on my other bike.

Good luck!