Old 08-27-14, 01:22 PM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike stays outdoors all the time. I'm not happy about that, but that's life!

I have a heavy chain and lock to fasten it to a big tree. Plus pitlocks. Plus where I am is reasonably tucked out of the way. The bike looks like a wreck and probably looks almost as heavy as it actually is.

I keep a plastic bag over the leather saddle a lot of the time. It's tricky thing. I like to keep it uncovered as much as possible, to let it dry out after a sweaty ride. So then I dodge out quick when it starts to rain, or keep an eye on the forecast, etc.

Purple Extreme on the chain seems to work great!

I have a few spots of rust here & there. The brake cables have these end pieces crimped on to stop the cables from fraying. Those seem to rust a bit.

The whole ugly business does actually encourage me to get out and ride. On the one hand, that probably spreads the oil around or scrapes off the rust, whatever. But also I figure the bike has a finite lifetime so I should ride it as much as possible before it rusts away, to maximize my miles per dollar.

One of my dreams is to go full hobo, to ride around the state, the country, the continent, the world, to ride and just keep on riding. Where do these folks keep their bikes, folks that ride all over the world? I expect a lot of them just park the bike outside the tent, in the elements.

e.g. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics/...ostybikes?v=29