Old 08-27-14, 10:44 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Building racing wheel with a dynamo hub! Help choosing spoke count.

It's an experiment! I would like to keep the performance as close to what I have now on my Giant Carbon fiber bike. It has nice light and fast wheels (700c Mavic rims and hub with bladed spokes, 24 holes with straight lacing). I would like to run dynamo lights to use for long night rides, without sacrificing much of the performance. Yes I know I would loose some to the dynamo, but want it to be a light and strong enough for me.

I thought of using this front hub http://www.sp-dynamo.com/9seriesdynamo%20hub.html and a Mavic open pro CD or a Mavic CXP33 rim (to match the rear). Both come in 28, 32 or 36 hole spoke, as the Shutter Precision (SP) Dynamo hub, that comes on 20, 24, 28, 32 and 36 holes also. I would be using straight double butted 2mm/1.5 stainless steel spokes (would not match with the rear bladed spokes, but that's ok)

The bike weights 17.5 lb, I myself weight 185lb and I carry maybe 10-15lb at the most on the bike when I go commuting or long rides(4 hours).

My questions:
What would be a proper spoke count for a light strong wheel for this bike?
And what kind of lacing would you use?
Any other suggestion on rims or spokes? Needs to be at least black.

Don't know if to make this my first real wheel build or to let the pro build it!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Double O