View Single Post
Old 08-28-14, 11:18 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Tuesday was rather out of the ordinary. Morning commute started out ordinary, until just after my usual mid-point stop for a quick breather. I had just started down the road again, when suddenly a bug flew into my neck below my chin, and either bounced off or flew down my jersey! I had to make an emergency stop on the gravel shoulder and wiggle the bottom edge of my jersey around to get the thing out of there. Not sure what kind of insect, I just saw something black on the ground. I'm sure the passing motorists were like WTF??

Going home was even more interesting. Shortly after leaving the office, I could see someone else cycling behind me, with a flashing white light. I usually go weeks at a time without seeing another cyclist on the roads at all. Knowing I'm slow, I knew he would catch up to and pass me. We had a quick chat when he did. He looked in his 50's yet still way faster than me, and he was riding what looked like a brand new disc brake road bike. Didn't catch the make or model.

Shortly after that I was riding past a subdivision where there's a wide section of paving along the entire subdivision frontage, to the side of the 2-lane road. I'm cycling in the lane as usual, and some woman in a Lincoln Town Car decided to just pass right by me on the right side "shoulder" paving (if that's considered a shoulder). Kind of irate about that.

Then not too long after that a Mini Cooper comes up behind me, and just stays behind me for at least 60 seconds, maybe more. They had plenty of chances to pass, but did not. Soon 2 more vehicles were behind them, and at one point the 2nd vehicle back, a pickup, decides to pass all of us, including me, with not-so-great sight lines.

So all of that within the first 5 miles going home. The rest was uneventful, other than feeling like poo because I ate too much for lunch that day, and having a headwind.

This morning was uneventful. We'll see how it goes this afternoon.