Thread: Bianchi Volpe
View Single Post
Old 08-29-14, 09:18 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Originally Posted by meaculpa View Post
NoGlider - Your rebuild looks great. I'm not surprised you're enjoying this bike so much. Back in late May I'd crashed into the back of a car (my fault). That hit crumpled the downtube & snapped the toptube of my Volpe. That was my first new, 'expensive' bike and man o man do I miss it. Unfortunately, Bianchi won't sell me a frame/fork only and I don't want the stock components. I'm 5'10 and I'd had a size 58. If I find that bike on CL or Ebay in that size, I'll be back in the Volpe-club.

BTW - the last few months before the wreck, I'd fitted her with Compass 38 Barlow Pass tires and, while clearances with my fenders were a little tight, wow what a cush ride.
I was about to suggest a San Jose frameset, until I looked it up and realized that it has track-style rear dropouts, so it wouldn't really work as a geared bike, unless you used an IGH.

Here's my late 2011 Volpe (drivetrain is all 2011 specs, but the seatpost and stem match the 2012 specs). I bought it NOS last summer, and put over 5000 miles on it within the first 12 months of owning it, through all kinds of weather. I've recently made a few tweaks to the fit, and just built up a new wheelset, but this bike has been great!