Old 09-02-14, 05:29 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baron von trail
I'm sure it's not an exact chart, but it came up first on the Google. I have a hell of a time holding 15 mph for three hours. But I have no problem averaging close to 18 mph during a 1 hr sprint. Two hour rides against wind are closer to 15. My 3's usually go 14mph unless I'm fresh after a day or two of rest and really pushing it. I can average a tad over sixteen on those days, but then I'm spent.

I don't disagree that cycling alone can shake off pounds. Hell, if it did, I'd still weigh 185. Most of my weight gain came while I cycled approx 100 miles a week but ate like each meal was my last.

Now, when I cycle 200 miles per week and cut down on eating, I do lose weight. Even 200 miles per week at 20 mph, while eating 5000 calories per day, would probably still result in weight gain. And, it's easy to eat 5000 calories. Losing real weight probably requires a 2500 cal daily diet with 2 hours of strenuous exercise.
There are some fancy terms for the effort level one can sustain for a given amount of time. Some refer to 30 minute and 60 minute periods. I only use LTHR at present, Lactate Threshold Heart Rate, this is the level you can sustain for 30 minutes or longer...and it is roughly the aerobic threshold.

Mine is somewhere around 150. For me the two hour window is not about exertion so much as it is the parts that sit on the saddle :-).

The Metric I did July 4th was roughly a 13.5mph average based on ride time...292 minutes saddle time, but pacing comes into it too, when setting out for a long ride, longer than usual I for sure will not roar out of the gate full throttle, I was glad to get it done period :-). Thought about doing another last weekend, labor day...but decided it was a sort of "parlor trick" on my present bike really....and of dubious value at this time.

Wind and road surface come into it too, the roads I usually ride are not super smooth, hitting a few nice smooth stretches is worth 1mph or so at least.

Bill