Old 10-21-05, 11:03 AM
chicagoamdream
meet the mets

Bikes: Raleigh conversion (hours spent making it look like a Pista); Porter Track, Samson Track, Leto Roadie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to adjust/tighten integrated headset?

I posted this over in Singlespeed/Fixed Gear because I ask those guys everything, but I need some exposure for this one.

I have discovered that my headset is an "integrated headset." It looks like this:

What happened was this:

I was trying to take my stem out, so I loosened the bolt that runs through the stem. I actually loosened it all the way, and took it out. Nothing was moving, so I unscrewed the cap, and then the top cup, and then I got, basically, what's in that picture, except the stem and the fork were in the middle. Where they joined, there were a bunch of threads: now, I'm correct that these threads were the OUTSIDE of the steerer tube, and that the stem, which I really believe to be a quill, was INSIDE these threads, right?

Anyway, the stem was really stuck, so I gave up, and clamped everything back together as tightly as I could. Now, there's this thunking sound, and I need to know how to readjust the bearings and tighten everything back up on this headset. This type doesn't use headset wrenches, or any other unique tools that I've been able to determine thus far.

Thanks!