mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Crumb93
I was actually referring to the Interstate.

I'm in CO, and my understanding is if we have room on the shoulder and there's no alternative we're legal although very, very afraid while on the Interstate.
Ok depends on which Interstate in Colorado.

For example, considering roads between Fort Collins and Cheyenne - I generally prefer I-25 to US-85. I would get on at exit 288 and from there shortly past the border. The traffic is high speed (probably 80+) - but the shoulder is wide and there aren't trees or other sight issues. The exception is if I know there is road construction.

In contrast, US-85 has less of a shoulder and only marginally slower traffic (probably 65+) and doesn't go as directly where want to go in Cheyenne. So don't live in Fort Collins anymore, but when I did and occasionally rode a mini-tour and decided to ride up to Cheyenne on Friday night, I'd often make that short piece of I-25.

The Clear Creek corridor coming down from Loveland Pass has continually improved, but when I was there, only alternative for first five miles from Eisenhower tunnel was I-70 and there was also a two mile stretch between Silver Plume and Georgetown so occasionally end up on I-70 for brief bits there.

I hadn't ridden as much in southern CO, but I-25 over Raton Pass was another instance of better than the alternatives and I understand other stretches in southern CO there are also periodic spots it might make sense to be on I-25.

So as far as how to handle a short bit of Interstate, including in CO and where there aren't good alternatives - I've taken those parts of Interstate.