View Single Post
Old 09-11-14, 08:04 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I upgraded several vintage steel bikes. I sold some, but still occaisionally ride two, a 86 Nishiki Prestige with Tange 2 tubing and a '92 Schwinn Paramount. I put a full Campy Chorus 10 speed on the Paramount along with Ksyrium Elite wheels and Michelin Pros. The Nishiki was a cheapo upgrade, a couple of used Alex aero wheels, 8 speed Ultegra (600) brifters, a Shimano 600 rear derailer and Tektro dual pivot brakes. I kept the original crank, BB, front DR, and bars. Neither bike can seriously challenge the two CF bikes I ride, but the Nishiki is fun to ride. The Paramount can only be called a disappointment. It feels like its got an anchor slowing it down. I'll find some time over the winter to work on it and see if any improvements can be made, but I doubt it. I've got one more I want to complete working on, a 86 Ironman with Tange 1 tubing. But these are still fun riders, not bikes I'll take on a group ride.