Old 10-21-05, 05:05 PM
Mchaz
Dances a jig.

Bikes: 2007 Surly Long Haul Trucker 54cm (Commuting/Wanna' go tour so bad), 1985 Trek 670 21" (Road), 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara 17" (MTB), Cannondale DeltaV 600 (commuterized MTB), some junker bikes in my garage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalmore
I have arrived at a plan - I've got some of those spacesaver bags - the ones where you attach a vacuum cleaner hose and seal the bag. It's not a perfect vacuum but they do hold the vacuum you establish. They are also pretty thick and hard to tear. I see no reason that will not keep the condensation out while my laptop warms up. I'll let you all know what happens.
If you turned your computer on when in the vaccum bag, it might cause it to quickly overheat. There are fans in your computer which are vital to keep from causing damage by overheating. In a vaccum the fans would not move any air, and your CPU heatsink would get very hot, very fast, while the rest of the laptop stayed cool. Therefore that plan would not exceed in heating the case, ect in the laptop to prevent condensation, and the processor would have a high chance of overheating. I recommend against it.

I know condensation can be a problem in computers though. I know from another hobby of mine (PC overclocking), that when guys use extreme cooling in their computers (methods that can cool the hot PC components below ambient temps) that condensation is a big concern. Usually these coolers can go below 0c. I don't know if condensation will be a problem in your situation though. I don't know if the laptop would get cold enough to cause a significant amount of condensation to where it would be damaging.

I hate to disagree with chroot, because of his experience in the field, but I have seen computer components fail because of condensation from the extreme cooling methods I mentioned. I don't see how you computer couldn't suffer the same failure if it cooled down to a low enough temperature. Maybe he can offer some thoughts on my opinion.