View Single Post
Old 09-14-14, 10:49 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Bottom Bracket woes.....unbelievable!

I've been riding a 1995 Trek that I bought second-hand about two years ago. For the past couple of days, I've been noticing a "click" every time the left crank moves thru a certain point. I took off the crankarms and jiggled the BB.....no movement. I rode it a couple more times and still "clicking". I decide at this point to go ahead and take the hollowtech II crankset and BB off my newest bike (that I paid an LBS to build from a frameset) and move it over to the Trek.

Once again, I take the crankset off the Trek and head over to the non-drive side with my BB tool. I put it in the splines, slide the wrench on and the weight of the wrench alone starts turning the bottom bracket. "It was loose!!....." I think to myself and as I am unscrewing that sleeve I'm thinking that something is unusual.....and then the whole bottom bracket came out!! Not only was it just short of finger-loose...it was in backwards!! I go to the drive side and again, the weight of wrench is enough to break the sleeve loose.

I then move to my newer bike. A different LBS mentioned that my crankarm was loose and they tightened it while installing new shifters. I remove the fairly tight left crankarm and then slide the crankset out. I then attach my BB tool and it is less than finger tight! Same thing for the other side!!

When I originally picked up the bike after it was first built, I was a bit disappointed. The Ergon grips were installed upside down, the handlebars weren't lined up with the front wheel and the brakes were rubbing. I was able to fix all that in less than 10 minutes so no biggie. Now, I find that my crankarm was loose (as reported by another LBS) and both of my BB cups were just finger tight!!!!