Old 09-19-14, 07:19 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
A lot of good info here. A few thoughts.

There is a vast difference in a Dutch city bike and knock-offs like Brooklyn, Electra, etc. I think you'd be happiest with a Workcycles, Azor, Batavus, Gazelle, Velorbis, or similar. Differences in in both quality and geometry. More info here: City Bikes | LocalMile

Bakfiets are wonderful (we have two) and I highly recommend them, but you don't necessarily need one. You'll like the Yepp (or sticking a seat on the top or down tube behind your handlebars). If you're thinking about a trailer, then definitely get a bakfiets instead. I'd stick with bakfiets.nl or workcycles. Christiania trikes are really good but their bakfiets is a bit strange (though not as bad as others). Other bakfiets like the Bullit and such are not recommended either for quality or strange handling/geometry.

If your husband is man enough, consider a step-thru (Oma or Gr8/Fr8) rather than step-over.

Everyone I've talked to who's purchased a good Dutch city bike (hundreds of people) have loved them and found that they became their primary bike (there's a reason they're so popular in northern Europe). Plan for a second one after you and your husband are done fighting over the first one :-)