Old 09-19-14, 11:47 PM
gregjones 

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
Just another idea for doing groceries car-free: Years ago I lived about a 40 minute walk from a major grocery chain store. Once a month I would make a MAJOR grocery run - so I would walk to the grocery and catch a taxi home with the giant load which the taxi driver would always help me carry up one flight of stairs to my apartment.
I don't live too far from stores since they put a four lane bypass on my side of the next town along the interstate, it drew in big stores and fast food/sodium peddlers.

It's less than 2.5 miles to Wally's. There's a smaller chain, only three hundred stores, a mile away. It costs 25% more at the smaller chain for the same name brand items than it does at Walmart. The only contact that I have with any Ingle's employee outside of their store is when I joke with them about their being in the wrong store at Walmart. To a person, their response is "Ingle's doesn't pay me enough to shop there." Back on topic...........it's almost 5 miles to Walmart taking back roads to avoid the 55mph bypass that doesn't have a shoulder.

I use Walmart.com for bulk/heavy items that don't fit or I don't want to carry on the bike. Large packs of toilet/paper towels, liquid detergent, dish soap and the like. I keep a list to build a $50 order that is brought to my front porch without any shipping charges. Same net price as buying at the store.