View Single Post
Old 10-22-05, 02:51 PM
erhan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foresthill
No, nto pinch flats. Blowouts. UST tires have much burlier sidewalls to take the added stress of not having a tube in there. I've blown out two sidewalls on non-tubeless tires. The first one *could* have been a tear. It was hard to tell. The 2nd one was on clean slick-rock. I just went with slightly higher pressure than normal (only about 40psi) and about 1/2 mile into the ride, the sidewall split from the pressure! I fixed it on the spot with some superglue and a patch inside the tire. But this convinced me to go out and buy the UST version of the tire, even tho they weigh another 300g each.

I've had no problems since switching to the UST tires.
Yeah, regular tires are not designed to be used without tubes so it makes a lot of sense. But I also believe in the luck factor. For example, I had had lots of trouble with tubes, but some people don't have as much problems, or I've never had any problems with ust tires but some people hate them complaining about not having them hold air. So hopefully I'll have some luck with these tires .

Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
What are the advantages to this stuff?
The advantages for me are, lighter weight, and being able to run low pressures (under 30 psi), and puncture resistance (hopefully).