View Single Post
Old 10-23-05, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
*sigh*

God, please. Not Atkins... again!

First, I do understand with you being so skinny and tall. At 19, you may still be growing too! But just eating fatty foods is not the answer.

Soooo... what to do? In the absence of a nutritionist or dietitian, you come to the boards, and you get lots of crazy answers and some very good ones.

First, Atkins does no good. If you plan to be active, and you deprive yourself of carbs, you will not have the energy to be active. This means you actually get more flabby, since your body needs something to drive the krebs cycle to produce ATP. You'll end up metabolizing your muscle, and that'll make you weigh even less. Muscle weighs more than fat, and with less muscle, you're back where you started. Atkins is not the answer.

Eating fatty foods will just make you fatter- in the unhealthy manner. What, you want high cholesterol and adult onset diabetes, all before your 25th birthday? Eating foods high in saturated fats will not give you what you want- believe me. Those types of foods will just expose you to all kinds of health risks, and it could set you down a path for being overweight later in life. That's no good either.

Have you been to your doctor? Now that you're 19, you should have a primary physician. I would have them test you for a fast metabolism. Have a thyroid test and see if there's a thyroid problem. There are drugs that can correct the problem, and if you do have an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), perhaps an early diagnosis can put doctors on the alert to watch for those diseases that could develop later in life, had you not been treated for hyperthyroidism. It should be the first thing you do.... see a doctor.

If you do have hyperthyroidism, you should ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian. I would think it would be in your health insurance that if you have a disease, the dietitian should be included in the diagnosis and treatment. Check your insurance if you do get confirmation from your doctor that you have an overactive thyroid. A registered dietitian will be able to put you on an eating plan that will meet your goals, and they will definitely will be able to suggest some alternatives for eating healthier foods that will lead to weight gain.

At the same time, you should begin a weightlifting routine. If you haven't been doing any weightlifting, you'll start light and gradually work on increasing the weights so that they are heavier. Eventually, you can work up to either 3 days/week of full body weightlifting, or 4 days per week of alternating upper body and lower body, and lifting heavy weights with low reps and low sets. Always work your weights to failure for each set. If you finish a set and you're not feeling some fatigue in the muscle you were working, then the weight just isn't heavy enough. Again, if you do end up having an overactive thyroid, see if your doctor can get creative and include a personal trainer in your referral (find a personal trainer who is also a physical therapist... that may be your "in" for getting the insurance company to pay for it). I always tell people to see a personal trainer rather then exclusively take the advice of people online.

I can scan a sample eating plan of a 2700 cal diet, and I can send it to you. When you see it, you wouldn't believe it was 2700 calories, because so much healthy food is included in that diet plan (1 day eating plan). You CAN eat healthy and get the amount of carbohydrates in your body that will give you a healthy body gain, while at the same time, still doing your weightlifting and cardio. Do keep in mind that excess of anything will convert itself to stored fat, which is not a good thing, so you want to avoid those high protein diets, because if you try to overeat the proteins (shakes and atkins) over what you really need for protein intake in a day, the excess will be partially excreted, and the rest will be stored as fat. That's no good.

Drop me a PM if you want that day diet plan for an example of a 2700, healthy eating diet.

Koffee