Old 10-23-05, 09:03 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Need to decide fast What Bike To Buy On Sale

I am trying to decide which sale bike to buy, it's time to move from my old chro-moly converted front suspension bike to a newer unit. I've narrowed the choice to three, a Trek 6500, a Specialized Rockhopper and an Iron Horse Warrior Trail full suspension. All are on sale at an LBS with a price difference between the lowest price Rockhopper to the highest price Ironhorse of $180. The Trek is $50 more than the Specialized Rockhopper and both are used, rental 2005 models with full warranties. The Ironhorse is a new, not used, 2005. I have to decide quickly between these three since the Trek and Specialized bikes will probably be sold within two or three days.
I'm over 50, and my riding style is not as aggressive as my son's, but I still ride on trails that range from level paths to those rated as Intermediate, with plenty of roots and a few logs, dips and climbs.
I've taken the Trek and the Specialized on a test ride with my son. We both agree, the Specialized felt more comfortable than the Trek mostly due to the handlebar and stem arrangement. The advantage of the Trek is the hubs are disc ready.
I have not ridden the Ironhorse, but find the oportunity to own a full suspension bike intriguing. But I'm not sure about this particular full suspension unit. If anyone has any advice about these three selections, please let me know. Thanks in advance.