Old 10-08-14, 06:13 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
When I lived in Olympia, WA the Westside Goodwill store used to produce a gem every so often. They used to price any bike that was dirty, with flat tires, at $9.95, so I picked up Centurion, Fuji, Motobecane, Raleigh, Miyata and Specialized bikes over the years. They were also a good source for bike related items like a pair of Carnac shoes for $4 and heavy wool sweaters for $5-$15. We left the area in 2007 and they had already begun to mark things up to more realistic levels though. In Olympia, word had spread enough that people gave me good bikes which I usually cleaned, lubed and passed on.

When we moved, I sold or gave away all but a few of my bikes and only the very best went for premium prices. Any bike that hadn't sold by the last 2 weeks, I put on CL priced from $30 to $75 and by offering buy 1 get 1 free, I managed to unload them all.

Down here in the Salem area, I have yet to see a decent bike at the Goodwill and prices on CL seem optimistic at best. Our church operates a "NW HUB" bike ministry where low income/homeless can "learn & earn" a bike by working an agreed number of hours at the HUB to earn a donated bike that's been renovated. They have a huge back log of donated bikes that are renovated as needed and they sell some high quality donated bikes to help fund the ministry. These bikes usually sell in the $75-$150 range, so not "cheap" but well worth it and $$ are for a good cause. If there is a "HUB" type ministry in your area, see if they have any C&V bikes for sale. Don