Old 10-11-14, 03:51 AM
boeckelr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windy weather jackets (really breathable) that can be used when it's cold with layers

Hi -

I've looked thru this forum and the net in general and have seen lots of threads for cold or wet weather jackets.

Anyway I'm not too concerned with wet weather because I try to stay away from it....but even when it's in the mid 60s if I'm riding near the ocean in CT I end up freezing because of the wind.

I've researched this to death - I can buy an active shell of a softshell....something with Gore Windstopper or with a manufacturers own material, like a Specialized's Defelct. I honestly don't know where to begun or what is good.

I do know that a) I sweat ALOT and don't want to wear something that doesn't breathe and makes me feel like I'm in a sauna; b) Im a big guy with big chest and shoulders and it's hard to find jerseys or jackets that even fit me.

Today I went to my lbs which finally got in a huge load of windbreakers, mostly Pearl Izumi and Bontrager stuff. The Pearl Izumi XXL fits me great, but once again I'm not sure which models are good. I've also looked at Gore's website...and am interested in something with Windstopper.....the salesman at the lbs claimed that the materials in the PI and Bontrager jackets were more breathable than Windstopper jackets, which I find hard to believe wo some sort of evidence.

My questions - am I going to be better off with a softshell or active shell? Will an active shell with a good breathable material still make me sit in my sweat more than a good softshell? I realize that with an active shell I can layer...while with a softshell I won't need to do quite as much layering until it's cold because they tend to be warmer.

Since PI gear actually fits me, are there any specific models that people have found to meet my criteria? Being able to use it for wind when it's in the low to mid 60s is important too.

Are there any decent softshell jackets that don't have added insulation? I don't want fleece if I can get away with it because it makes the jacket less versatile. I want to add the layers myself if needed....I don't want a real warm jacket that precludes me from using it when Its not super cold.

I noticed Gore sells a shirt that has Windstopper material in the front of the shirt while leaving the back uncovered. Woild I just be better off buying one of those to put under my jersey when it's in the 60s and then buy a softshell for when it's colder?

And finally, does anyone know how Gore models fit compared to PI? I'm intrigued with the Gore Phantom 2.0....alot of people say that it's the most versatile piece of clothing they own.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!