View Single Post
Old 10-11-14, 08:11 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by selaing
Colin did move back to England back in 1984 and then moved back October 1985. I am his son - Stuart. He did make bike frames during this time with Sandy Gilchrist on them as well as Sid Barris and Otadini, plus my bike Colin Laing.
post some photo's if you want, and I can try and tell you a bit more. I was only 14 at the time, but knew Dad's business inside and out.
cheers
Stuart
Hi Stuart,

I got the frame back from the painters. The comment was that, when stripped, the brazing looked superb!

I've got some photos, difficult to catch detail on a gloss black frame (the paint looks superb) and I took them before I started adding the Sandy Gilchrist decals. I'd be interested to know if it is one of your dad's, if not I suspect it will be Dave Yates, who I think also built for Sandy.

It's 531c.
The canti bosses, front lowrider bosses and additional carrier supports on the rear Campag ends are not original (they were added by Bob Jackson about 15 years ago), but the special features are the swept in seat stays at the seat lug, the curved brake bridge, the two tabs on the seat stay for a Blackburn rack, and the guide tube brazed into the downtube for cabling for a bb dynamo light. (you can see the diamond shaped braze on round the hole in the last photo. The lower exit is just above the BB shell and is drilled through the lug. I couldn't pick it up in photos)

Numbers stamped on the BB seem to be 518, 33 with a backwards "c" and (I think) 5522, but after 30 years they are not as clear as they were.

Over BB cable guides and cable guides above TT too.

It has 4 slightly raised bottle cage holes. When originally supplied it was gloss black with gold luglining. White decals.

I start the rebuild tomorrow!!

Cheers

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gilchrist respray 001.jpg (99.8 KB, 221 views)
Gilchrist respray 002.jpg (83.2 KB, 213 views)
Gilchrist respray 006.jpg (69.7 KB, 211 views)
Gilchrist respray 007.jpg (69.9 KB, 213 views)
Gilchrist respray 011.jpg (81.9 KB, 212 views)
Gilchrist respray 014.jpg (57.5 KB, 207 views)
Gilchrist respray 015.jpg (81.8 KB, 209 views)
Gilchrist respray 017.jpg (46.7 KB, 210 views)

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1