View Single Post
Old 10-13-14, 02:52 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
we ride a number of gravel roads, so the need a tire with more bite, 28mm can get a bit squirrelly in gravel and grass. I like the look of the Northroads as well, and is high on my list of potential upgrades. I have not seen a Lotus Challenger, but there is a Lotus Excelle for sale locally, but a bit high in price at over $300.

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Tire size depends on the age, the make, and the model. Common mixtes with high tensile frames from the 1970s with steel rims are almost all 27". Chromoly frames with alloy wheelsets beginning in the 1980's are all 700c.

CX tires have their purpose, but look out of place on a mixte IMHO. Also, as depending on the weight of the rider. you may find 32mm tires to be unnecessary and 28cm adequate. I always advocate whitewalls and Northroads type handlebars on a mixte. Also, stem shifters or thumbies are preferred to DT and barcons. Fenders too!

Brakes are mostly center pull IIRC.

As far as frames that you mentioned above, the Nishiki and Centurion are "meh" to me, heavy and dull riding. No experience with the Univega. I like the 1980's Peugeot and Motobecane (cotterless crankset) frames, Raleigh GP or Super Course MK 11, Fuji Royale, and last but not least, Miyata (very rare) the Lotus Challenger and other frames.