View Single Post
Old 10-14-14, 08:06 AM
DunderXIII

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Tricross Elite, Tricross Sport (*R.I.P), Mikado DeChamplain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halcyon100
Thanks for the ideas and replies. I actually love riding my bike to and from work. I always feel better when I bike to work vs. driving.

It just seems that 10 hours seems to be some kind of cut-off for me, where my motivation/energy to do anything after that (aside from drive home) is close to nil. If I work 8 hours, I generally look forward to the ride home and enjoy it. If I work 8-10 hours, I might feel tired, but I usually am happy after I ride for a bit. After a 10-12 hour day, I feel spent - physically, psychologically, intellectually... It is hard for me to summon up motivation for the ride home.

I feel very safe on my commute, that is not a concern. Lights might be a factor. I have a Nightrider Lumina 650 on my handlebars now and I was going to use another light on my helmet after daylight savings. The discussion about lights made me think of another possible factor. I have a thyroid disorder and have taken thyroid hormone for about 10 years. One thing I have noticed since taking the thyroid hormone is that my night vision is not as good. I also need to get a new pair of glasses & I've been procrastinating about doing this. My new prescription is just a tiny bit stronger than my current one. I have terrible vision and am pretty much blind without glasses.

As far as creatine goes, I don't know. I'm female and the the possibility of losing hair and retaining more water doesn't seem very appealing. Since taking thyroid hormone, I have found that I can build muscle easily if I work out regularly and eat well. If I don't work out a lot or eat well, than I put on fat easily...

Maybe I'll try a smaller cup of coffee closer to the ride home if I am tired. I will also experiment with getting new glasses and a stronger light.
Honestly, choose your battles. If you feel like its draining you because you've been working too much then don't do it. If you can "plan" your overtime then its easy, plan your days off the bike accordingly.

Its not a question of making excuses, its good to pressure ourselves to do more but sometimes, we need to listen to ourselves.

Honestly, 10-12 hours is a lot even for a manager (because, you know, you manage, you're not doing anything right? btw, I used to be a manager ). Working too much can lead to burn-out, its serious, listen to yourself.