View Single Post
Old 10-16-14, 09:54 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
More people ride with saddles too low than too high. 25 - 35 is a generous spread and if you are outside of that I would consider raising the saddle 5mm. Maybe more. You say nothing of where the bars are now in relation to the seat or where they would be if you raised the saddle. You should be comfortable with the bars up to an inch below saddle height. Some riders have their bars as much as 4" below saddle height. Drop bars should never be above saddle height. Flat-bars can be level with and up to 4" and more above saddle height. There are hipsters rocking flat-bars that are well below saddle height. Clear as mud?

H
I would stick with your original idea of 3 mm. If you're looking to see what a little more leg stretch feels like, stick with those small changes. I think the angle changes pretty quickly as height changes, though I've never seen a plot of it or derived the equation.

When I got my first fitting he set me up for 30 degrees, because I needed to be in that range, and he wanted to reduce hip angle closure. My belly is somewhat in the way of my thigh. The changes he made were very small.

See how it feels, but keep notes on what you did and when so you can reverse the changes if the result turns bad.