View Single Post
Old 10-22-14, 04:41 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I have to disagree with your assessment of their seals as well. They were closely matched to the axle, and the dustcaps had an extended flange creating a long, narrow channel to inhibit debris penetration. And you could add oil through the oil port to flush debris out of the channel on a regular basis. The pedals and bottom brackets had rifling that was designed to move debris out with normal pedaling action. All in all, they were quite well designed and have held up better than cheap cartridge bearings in my experience.
Agree with everything here. It has started to rain here, and I intend to commute right through the winter. So I have brought out my winter wheelset with the Campagnolo Record freewheel hubs. Best bad-weather hubs ever. Unlike lower-end hubs built with cartridge bearings, which trap water and turn into a rusty mess, the Record hubs have convenient injection ports.

Put the grease *** in the port and in seconds all the old grease and water is ejected and refreshed with the new!