Old 10-23-14, 04:42 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Café, why don't you tell us what kind of riding you do....mountains?...hills?...flatland?
How strong are you?...my presumption is you aren't a strong rider or inexperienced at least by your question.
The vast majority of riders would never want a 50 34 w/11-32 cassette. Only time this would be opted for is an average or weaker cyclist in the mountains and many would go with a triple and a smaller cassette for tighter cog spacing.
Good riders don't like big jumps in cog spacing as kingfish explained. Unless you are super strong or do high speed descents you don't need 50-11 either...50-12 is nice.
I will tell you what I ride which is custom on both ends. I ride 50-38....I call it a 'baby standard' versus a compact and 29-12 Campy cassette...built with 2 cassettes. If I do say a hilly hundred where I need more help climbing say at mile 80, I will throw the 34t small ring on. Otherwise above is best without the big gap in front and more breadth of gearing in the back. A lot of guys have different gearing...or own different bikes with different gearing for different riding conditions.