Old 10-23-14, 07:36 PM
Montag311

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
I just joined the forum so I might as well make this my first post.

53 years old.

1. Cannondale Synapse Carbon. Used to have a 2012 but it recently had a frame failure and my frame was replaced under warranty with a new 2014 frame and my existing components were transferred over from the old frame. I also have an older steel Jamis road bike that I used to ride.

2. No. I used to take a multivitamin but not any more. I eat a reasonably balanced diet and I don't feel any different whether I take them or not.

3. and 4. I first started riding over 25 years ago. Then marriage and kids came along and I stopped. I picked it up again a couple of times as the years went on but never stuck with it. Then after putting on a pound or two each year, I was in my mid-40s and overweight. I finally decided to do something about it. But I didn't do it by riding. Instead I started walking regularly and eating better. I was very dedicated and the weight started coming off. As I got fitter I started running as well. It wasn't long before I was able to lose 40 pounds and was down to 165. Unfortunately the running led to a persistent soreness in my hip and I decided to pick up the bike again, not to lose more weight, but just to maintain my fitness. I was amazed at how much faster I was, faster than I was in my 20s. Cycling is much easier on my hip and now I have been riding regularly for over three years. I still like to walk as well, but my running days are over. My hip just can't take the pounding.

5. I am a road cyclist. I average 30-35 miles per ride and try to do a few longer rides of 50-60 miles each season. I usually ride solo, but I like to do a few group rides and charity rides each season as well.

6. When the weather allows, I like to ride 3 times a week. I still try to ride in the winter, but lack of daylight doesn't allow for riding after work, so I'm usually happy just to get in one ride on the weekend. I've been averaging 2200 miles per year.

Last edited by Montag311; 10-23-14 at 07:40 PM.