View Single Post
Old 10-28-14, 02:01 PM
rideone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
non-conventional shifter locations?

in my last project i was again confronted with the decision of where to place the shifter. The placement should suit the riding style so downtube is out of the question.

I'm using a Sturmey Archer SRF-3 hub and proprietary shifter. The Philippe Porteur bars have a diameter of 23,8 and i'm pretty sure there are no clamps for this size. I don't want to splurge on VO / Paul mounts either. In the past I've placed the shifter on the stem shaft which has worked well and would suit the upright riding position of this bike. I would have done it again, only I had wired everything up before thinking about it *doh* and didn't want to take everything apart again.

Anyhow, I got a little funky and modified and old Huret clamp to accept the modern shifter and it shifter on the top tube, just like older Motobecanes used to have.

This got me thinking of other non-conventional locations one could place the shifter... on the bike frame of course SA makes a seatpost mount for 27,2. I wonder how awkward that is to use. I was thinking maybe the seat tube below the top tube could also work.

I'm curious to see what other people have come up with!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6072.jpg (105.7 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by rideone; 10-28-14 at 02:17 PM.