View Single Post
Old 10-29-14, 11:00 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Yeah, but that's silly. I mean, I'd be happy to have a sweet bike that just needed a rear wheel; I'd either just buy a new wheel or steal it from another bike. Speaking Devil's advocate, here.
Thieves don't like work, or projects. They want a fast turnaround. So they aren't likely to cut a wheel to steal a bike which needs more parts before they can sell it. (they want cash, not bikes).

In fact, one of the best ways to keep a bike from being stolen is to render it unrideable either by taking the front wheel with you, or by some other means.

This is why locking by the seat stay is better than by a main tube is better. Stays are weaker and easily damaged in obvious ways by many brute force methods to break locks. Thieves know, that while they'll get the bike, it's less saleable if at all, so move on to a better target. The key to bike security isn't to stop a thief, it's simply to move him to a better target. In this way it's similar to the logic of outrunning your buddy rather than the lion.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.