Old 11-03-14, 06:51 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
So my rear Conti GP 4 Seasons tire has pretty much bit the dust I think. It went flat on me in the house a couple weeks ago, I fixed it up and rode it another 150 miles or so, then found it flat again yesterday. There was a piece of rubber taken out with cords showing, which I filled in with Shoe Goo, but it appears that the spot rubbed a hole in the tube on the inside of the tire. The tire has about 4K miles on it.

I got those GP 4S tires brand new at a very deep discount from a friend, so basically I can't get the same deal again. I'm looking for a 700x25 tire, folding bead, preferably in the $30-$40 range or less. I use the tires primarily for commuting almost 100 miles weekly. Flats aren't really a problem for me, as the GP 4S tires only flatted on me once while out riding, back about 2.5 months ago, and it was that same rear tire.

I liked the GP 4S light weight, at only 220 grams on my scale. I don't mind a little more weight, but would rather avoid a 500+ gram tire, which is what my bike's original Vittoria Zaffiro wire-bead tires weigh (I hate wire bead tires with a passion).

Any suggestions?

I've bought rubino pro IIs and IIIs for as little as $25 but those deals are hard to find.

I really like the gran fondos from here:

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...-fondo-tricomp

They are off label tricomps and are absolutely amazing value, IMO. See review here:

Found: Western Bikeworks? Custom Vredestein GranFondo Tricomp Road Bike Tires

PS: In late winter they close them out before the next vintage arrives and you can get them for $22ish. Ridiculous.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 11-03-14 at 06:55 PM.