Old 11-07-14, 11:02 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Would it pay off to repaint a frame before selling?

I've got a Gunnar Crosshairs frame and fork that I bought used last year for commuting, but the fit turned out to be less than ideal. I also decided I wanted a new touring frame (Soma Saga) to replace my Bob Jackson, which will now be used for commuting. So, I plan to sell the Gunnar. It's a nice riding frame with tons of clearance for big tires and mounts for fenders and racks. However, the paint is not in great shape. The previous owner had it repainted, so it's not original, and it has rust spots popping up here and there. I could touch up the rust spots, but I'm thinking about having the frame and fork powder-coated, which I could get done locally for about $100.

Do you think the investment in a new paint job would pay off when selling the frame? One potential problem is that I would have to pick a color, and that choice might not appeal to everyone. I was thinking of painting gloss black or red.