Old 11-07-14, 12:47 PM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilWeasel
I ride a flat bar hybrid that has been optimized for on road use. I added a set of aero bars about a month ago. I figured they would help with those long, straight, into the wind sections of my rides. Oh my God!! I have no idea how i ever got along without them. I use them way more often then i thought i would.
There are compromises in seat adjustment with Areo / flat bar combos. What works down in the aeros doesn't work when sitting up and vice versa. I actually had to change seats to get to a happy medium.
Thanks for input on aero-bars - I find it interesting that you are using them more than expected.
Did you find 'control' to be a challenge initially?

I had never thought about there being an impact on the seat - but on reflection your warning makes a lot of sense.

I am assuming the potential problem is that when 'upright' the sit bones are more pronounced than when leaning forward and this increases potential for pressure on delicate soft tissue.

I have two follow-up questions:
(a) Did you find that changing the angle of the saddle (front pointing a little 'down' rather than 'flat') was part of the solution?

(b) What were the characteristics of the new saddle that most helped?