Old 11-08-14, 02:22 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tend to agree that it's almost never worth it to repaint the frame; however, "almost" does imply exceptions...

I'm facing a similar dilemma with a pretty nice Univega MTB frameset I picked up over the summer (with the interest of clearing out my spare parts cache, I snagged two Univega framesets in VG condition, one of which I've built & posted about elsewhere on the forum; at the moment I'm addressing the other frame)...

I could build this frame into a really sweet commuter, and sell it for about $125 - $150, thereby getting a pretty close return on the original cost of my old parts + the frame (which was $35).

Then again, I could also get it powdercoated (which would effectively make it a new frame) & re-decaled for about $125, and it would easily sell on our local CL for about $250, which neatly pays for the new paint (and allows someone to own a very solid bike in excellent shape).

It wouldn't cost me anything in terms of cash, but for the past three months I've been wondering whether it's really worth the extra effort.

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 11-08-14 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Spelling & punctuation.