View Single Post
Old 11-11-14, 09:58 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Well, I talked to the guy running the ride. He didn't send me any rules but he is actually super mellow about it all. They are not recording times, he'd like people to stop at the check points but only so he knows where people are. He would not DQ someone for skipping a check point or two. He is fine with personal SAG as long as you are not extreme about it. In fact he suggested if I missed a check point because I went with personal SAG, to just have my SAG person come by the check point to let the ride volunteer know where I am.

He also said you can fill a small lunch sack with food items and they will bring the bag to one of the two middle rest stops for you. That helps logistically very much, don't have to carry more than 8 hours or so of food/electrolyte, which is very doable.

Bottom line is he says just call him with whatever questions I have as they arise, he said he talked to the event organizer who ran his first double for a total of about 2 hours before his ride. He already knows a lot of the riders who will be doing the ride and he thinks it's nothing but helpful for him as the event organizer to know who's out there, to have a feel for everyone's knowledge, experience & abilities. So he'd rather talk as much as necessary.

The whole scenario with this ride seemed so weird, I was getting the impression he was a difficult guy. But he's friends with a bunch of people I know, it didn't really make sense that he'd be a pain. I think all this talk of DQ and getting banned from future events is actually coming from our club guy, trying to get everyone to follow the agreement that he negotiated with the start times. Maybe a little overstating the seriousness of it all to get people's attention.