View Single Post
Old 11-11-14, 05:02 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0
the 105 FD should work absolutely perfectly wih your shifters. There is something else going on here.

The most likely culprit, as FB mentioned, is a mis-routed FD cable. See the excellent sketch I prepared. THere is a little 'tab' on the washer behind the pinch bolt (washer shown in red on sketch), and if the cable goes under this tab then the length of the lever arm the cable is pulling is significantly shorter and you get the exact problem you describe. Routing the cable under the tab is incorrect, and if you have it this way you do not have your derailleur set up properly. THe cable must run over the tab before being clamped under the pinch bolt.

Briefly raising a zombie to say HAHAHAHA THANK YOU!!!! Trying to solve a tough-to-shift issue on my wife's bike and this is *exactly* what I was doing wrong. God bless bikeforums... once again you have saved the day.

(I'm sure this undead thread will shamble off to wherever it came from if we give it a little time.)

p.s. In terms of serving its purpose, that is indeed an excellent sketch.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 11-11-14 at 05:17 PM.