View Single Post
Old 11-30-14, 10:40 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
Why would you use a SL/SP mix frame on 5 different models but not advertise it as SL/SP?
They were second tier models???

Because Columbus didn't have any tubing stickers that said SL/SP???

Like this maybe ?

or this...

Columbus and Bianchi like most companies never mentioned what the forks and stays were on their bikes with only the 3 main tubes made of a premium tubing. TRETUBI for example.

During the 60s and very early 70s, quite a few French bikes came with Reynolds 531 main tubes and Durifort forks and stays -Zeus too. They had Durifort decals on the forks.

BG, I think that the real reason was that frame tubing stickers were more of a marketing tool than anything else. Back during the bike boom, a number of British makers made frames with the 3 main tubes straight gage Reynolds 531 while the rest of the tubes were who knows what.

Bike buyers in the US became aware that a bike made of Reynolds 531 tubing was special. Little did they know of all the different Reynolds decals and what they meant.

I guess that Formula Two will remain a mystery.... (but I like your idea that it was probably a blend of Aelle and what have you)

Same thing with Bianchi Special Columbus tubing:

verktyg

Chas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ColumbusSLSP.jpg (101.0 KB, 561 views)
ColumbusFormulaTwoPipe.jpg (5.3 KB, 885 views)
ColumbusTretubi.jpg (70.5 KB, 552 views)
ColumbusTretubiAelle.jpg (95.3 KB, 557 views)
DurifortOldForkDecal.jpg (61.9 KB, 554 views)
Reynolds531PlainGage3Tubes.jpg (11.3 KB, 878 views)
ColumbusBianchiSpecial.jpg (43.8 KB, 563 views)

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 11-30-14 at 10:48 AM.