Old 12-02-14, 04:04 AM
prophete

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to increase the number of gears on my 20 inch eBike (2 gear automatic right now)

Hi all,

I am posting this to the mechanics forum even though it’s about an eBike, since my question is not connected to the electric part.

I bought this eBike to ride to work every day and it’s well suited for that. The route is only about 10km every day, but I didn’t want to get sweaty before work so I bought an eBike.

It is a 2 gear automatic switch in the rear wheel, but it is really hard to ride up hills and especially once the battery is empty, it makes it very strenuous. So, I would like to add more gears if possible.

I’m very much an amateur so keep that in mind please. I searched a lot and it seems that the easiest way is to change the internal gear hub with something that has more gears (although more pricey). Ideally I would like 7-8 gears, but 5 would be okay as well. I don’t want to have one of those external gear switches with the chain.

What is the easiest way to do this and which gear hub should I get? Is there anything else I need? For instance how do I switch the gears and what are the extra parts called? Are there any differences in sizes I know to know about since my wheels are 20 inchs?

I know this is a lot of questions but I’m basically looking for any advice you can give me to do this in the most painless way possible and on the cheap.

Any other suggestions/advice are most welcome as well.

I'm attaching a photo if that helps and will of course provide any other info on request

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.jpg (92.6 KB, 30 views)