View Single Post
Old 12-02-14, 10:42 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 843 Posts
The only Euro style stand I've worked with was Park's first edition (I don't even know if there's been any changes to it, this was a number of years ago). generally I really like the Park stands, certainly their shop series. But this Euro stand wasn't my cup of tea. IIRC the axle/QR clamps were plastic, not very robust is my memory. The BB support allows for some bike movement and, if the fork is clamped, twisting off the mount. Sure there's the tie down strap... The lack of being able to move from front to rear wheel/brake work without also swapping out the wheels and remounting the bike completely is a hassle for me, being use to traditional frame/post clamped bikes. The only reason to use this type of stand that I see is if the seat post won't allow a clamp to be used, highly aero/non existent posts. We clamp carbon posts and frames all the time at work, one just needs to be careful which is part of being a competent wrench anyway. Lastly if there's a chance that a strange bike (recumbent, tandem, trike) is to be serviced the Euro stand isn't going to help. Andy.