cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2 View Post
I've decided I want to give wheel building a try. I want to build a single rear road bike wheel that can handle 260+ lbs.

I'm trying to stay low cost on my first wheel just in case I fook it up.

I'm thinking a 32 spoke DT Swiss rim, but not sure on the spokes or hub. I was thinking Ultegra hubs just due to cost and durability.

What parts do you recommend? How do I know what size on the spokes? Where should I order the parts from?

I have the Park Big Blue book and have been watching some wheel building videos on YouTube.

Do I need anything other than my trusty Park TM-1 tension gauge and spoke wrench?

Thanks in advance!
This will probably start a flame war but I'll say it anyway. What hub you use and what rim you use don't really matter. The rim and, to a lesser extent, the hub are convenient places to attach what really matters in terms of wheel strength...the spokes. The spokes to all of the heavy lifting and they never get the credit.

If you really want to build a strong wheel for a heavy rider or carrying a heavy load (or both), go to a triple butted spoke. That's a 2.3/1.8/2.0mm spoke (although the middle could but 1.5mm without issues). DT Swiss sells the Alpine III which is rather expensive (~$2 per wheel) and only come in black for the US. Pillar Spokes can be had from BDop Cycling for around $1 per spoke (without nipples).

Wheelsmith and Sapim sell an unbutted version of the same spoke but I haven't looked at the cost.

Look around on Pilar's site to see the difference in strength between a conventional straight, butted or triple butted spoke. The triples are much stronger.
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.