Old 12-03-14, 07:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The instruction reference to the rain is partly the result of editing to fit. Before cutting it down to fit, it said after many miles of riding in the rain.

There's no need to relube after a typical rainy commute. In fact Chain-L rarely needs reapplication even after a hundred or more rainy miles. After a rainy ride I simply let the bike drip dry, then ride it the next day with zero service.

As T-Scott aid, the grit you hear is probably between the chain and sprockets, and will go away with a few turns after the chain is dry. The normal action will move whatever is there to the edge of engagement merging into the scallop pattern at the base of the teeth.

As to when to relube, it's hard to say, but you'll get a sense of it either by sound, or the shifting getting a bit wonky, or in the winter when you get a bit of rust around the edges of the plates.

Personally, I don't have a rule, and relube when I think that maybe it's time, following the logic that too soon is better than too late.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.