cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3499 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
What about you? What role did BF play in getting you out on two wheels?
I started regular bike commuting in 1992 after trying it a couple of times in 1991. I was somewhat inspired or at least aided by a bicycling "bulletin board system" (BBS) (*) in Toronto called One Less Car.

By the time I discovered BF in 2005 I had been commuting for 13 years so I didn't learn the basics from the site, but it has probably helped inspire me to take on more advanced repairs and maintenance like repacking hubs, re-truing minor rim deviations, replacing bottom brackets and so on, that I never would have thought of doing in the earlier years. As well it has probably helped keep me motivated to continue riding consistently. Also,like Roody, I probably got better at selecting used replacement bikes.

(*)For the youngsters, bulletin boards systems were an early form of asynchronous online communication, before web forums fully came into their own. They were run by amateur hosts on home computers, and might only serve their own city, but sometimes a few BBSs in different cities would linked to each other through the phone lines.

So as a user you would dial into to your local host's site, download the latest information, then maybe disconnect to read the latest articles and posts, and compose your replies offline, and then reconnect and upload your replies to your local host. If there was multi-city network, then every few hours or every night the software would send updates around the network to all participating host sites, so the next day you would again download the updates from your local host to your home computer and see everybody's replies, and respond and so on.

Last edited by cooker; 12-04-14 at 10:51 AM.