Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by socalpedalpushr View Post
Have always wanted to explore Vancouver Island by cycling and camping. The problem is I need maps and a tour book. There doesn't seem to be a lot out on the web, so thought I'd hit this forum up. Anyone have knowledge of recent guide books for Vancouver Island? Thanks,

~Hugh
Los Angeles, CA
Why do you need guide books? Just get off the ferry at the Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal, cycle down to Brentwood Bay, catch the ferry across to Mill Bay, and start cycling north.

Stop in Duncan and have a look at all the totems.

Stop in Chemainus to see the murals.

On the way north, stay close to the coast and off Hwy 1 as much as possible. You will have to ride Hwy 1 a bit as you get closer to Nanaimo, but it's not too bad.

You may be able to pick up maps at the Ferry Terminal ... or if you spend your first day in Victoria, go to the Victoria Tourist Information Centre.
Tourism Victoria Visitor Centre | Visitor Services and Community Info

More about Tourist Information Centres on Vancouver Island.
Visitor Centres | Victoria, BC | Destination BC - Official Site

And some other Vancouver Island info.
Vancouver Island's Official Tourism Vacation Guide, British Columbia, CanadaVancouver Island Vacation Guide
Victoria BC Tourism Information Guide | Info Victoria

If you're an Amercian Automobile Association member, you should be able to pick up some maps and maybe some other tourist info ... enough to get you started. Or at least, the Canadian Automobile Association has maps and tourist info for all over North America, so I'm assuming the AAA does too.

And ... these are photos our most recent trip to Vancouver Island. It was a short credit card tour. One day I'd like to do a longer tour there ...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka...7627943421118/